All schools in Richmond Borough offer a hot meals service. Most – i.e. 35 out of 41 – of the primary schools are within the Council’s central contract with Sodexo, which is scheduled to run until July 2011, with the option of an extension until July 2013. The other six schools each have their own separate contracts with hot meals providers. All meals offered by Sodexo and the other providers full conform to the Government’s minimum nutritional standards.
We are well aware of the importance of improving the school lunches. Our long-term aim is for locally-sourced, reasonably-priced food to be cooked from fresh within all our schools, however we are not yet in a position to move to a cooked-from-fresh meals service in all our schools, as the kitchens in many cases are not suitable and would require major capital investment. At the moment, and for the foreseeable future, the bulk of the Council’s capital will be spent on enabling the expansion of primary schools to meet the massive increase in demand for reception class places. Where those expansions are happening – please see our Consultation on Primary Expansions Strategy – we will be looking to expand the kitchens accordingly.
I have met with Stephanie several times over the past two years and remain in email contact with her. We share Stephanie’s aims, but we do not, as yet, have the funding in place to undertake the capital investment that would be needed to realise those aims.
I hope that clarifies the situation for you.
Yours sincerely,
Matthew Paul
Deputy Head of Commissioning, Delivery & Service Improvement
Children
Tel: 020 8891 7588 / Mobile: 07946 890631 / Fax: 020 8891 7714 / Email: m.paul@richmond.gov.uk / Web: www.richmond.gov.uk
I am speechless!!!!!
ReplyDelete"Refrain from sending us further emails"??!!
Who do they think they are? I sincerely hope you have gone to the press with this. I am absolutely outraged that they seem to consider engaging with parents an irritant.
I need to calm down so I can give a considered opinion. It is deeply disappointing to get such an ill considered response from them.
Dont let it put you off. This makes me want to redouble efforts to involve parents.